Friday, March 18, 2011

Baby Updates...It's A GIRL!

Time flies when you're busy getting ready for a major life change! Today marks 19 weeks in our pregnancy -- almost the halfway point -- and I'm working hard to make adjustments that prepare us for the upcoming HUGE shift in priorities. It's been difficult to realize that I can't keep doing everything I've been doing, at the breakneck speed I've been doing it. And I realized the other day that when things are changing, it's tough to find your footing. How busy is too busy...how much is too much...when do we need to be doing what...what am I really feeling or are these just the pregnancy hormones screaming? I'm so very grateful for the wonderfully supportive friends and family that God has blessed me with, who can help me navigate these new waters.

Below are some pics I've collected over the past few months that help "document" the journey.


Here I am at 12, 14, and 16 weeks. I've been trying to take a pic every 2 weeks, in the same spot and wearing the same outfit, so we can see the "growth progression." It's interesting to me that the 14-week pic makes me look smaller than the 12-week pic. I think it's because as I've progressed, the "bump" is spreading upward. And I was accused of "sucking it in" in the 16-week pic...okay, guilty as charged. I guess I wasn't ready to just let it all hang out! For the 18-week pic, Chad was out of town -- woops! We will pick it back up at 20 weeks.


Here I am at 18 weeks -- no sucking in -- a substitute for the every-other-week picture ritual (above). Finally I feel like I look pregnant and not just bloated!


And HERE are the most exciting pics of them all! Over the weekend of March 10th I went to visit one of my best friends, who lives in Phoenix and is also an ultrasound tech. She has spent more than 10 years performing diagnostic ultrasounds for high-risk pregnancies, and works with the best doctors and equipment in her field. While I didn't make the trip expecting her to scan me, it turned out that she was able to. The pics above show some of the 4D footage she was able to capture of our HEALTHY BABY GIRL at 16 weeks gestation. She says everything looks fantastic (although baby still looks a little....uh....alien at this point) and it was such a blessing to hear the good news from one of my best friends. In case you're wondering, although Chad wasn't there, I got his blessing to have the scan and we had him on the phone for the big gender reveal.

Upon discovering the fantastic news that we are expecting a girl, Stacy and I headed straight to Dillard's to buy baby her first outfit, and "Auntie Stacy" bought baby girl her first pair of shoes. The outfit now hangs in the room that will eventually become the nursery.

The following Friday, I asked my Mom to accompany me to my 16-week prenatal appointment. Although I was not scheduled for a scan, the NP offered to do one so that "Grandma" could see the baby "real time." It was such fun to have my Mom there and see the baby again. This time she had the hiccups!

I'm starting to feel definite baby movement, which is fun and exciting. Most people have said it feels like "flutters" or "butterflies." To me it just feels like twitches and pokes from the inside. I just wish I could feel it from the outside, so that Chad could participate. Oh well -- soon enough I will be HUGE and he'll be able to see elbows and feet rolling around my belly.

Next up is our formal "anatomy scan" on April 6th, where my OB-GYN will take a detailed look at the baby. Thanks to my dear friend, who already confirmed we have a healthy baby, I'm not anxious about the scan with my doctor and I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with Chad!

1 comment:

Melody said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely!