Integrity:1. Adherance to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. The state of being whole, entire, or undminished.
Over the past few months I've been pondering the word "integrity" and what it means to me. A conversation with a friend prompted me to look it up in the dictionary, and I was really surprised with the #2 definition offered above. Not because it's news to me, but because when we talk about "integrity" we typically do so in the context of character, and not necessarily in the context of "wholeness." And a desire for "wholeness" has been on my heart for quite some time. I've alluded to it in other posts. It's not that I feel I am broken, or lacking any one thing in particular, but sometimes I feel a sense of "dividedness" among the areas of my life (e.g., the "work me," the "church me," the "Junior League me," etc.). I am using that word because right now I can't find a better one. I long for consistent consistency (yes, you read that right!) of mindset, attitude, heart, and purpose, whether I am working or playing, alone or together with others, happy or sad, etc.
I think this ties to one area of growth that I've also been focusing on (and asking others to help me with in 2011): the ability to "see the big picture." I'm a details person, and often I can't see the forest because I'm too busy messing with the trees. Who is the "big picture me"?
I've also shared in other posts that I am slowly (but surely) making my way through Stephen Covey's "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." I absolutely love the idea of creating a personal (and family) mission and values statement, and I'm slowly collecting my thoughts on what values are most important to me (and us). I have a feeling that, along with simplicity and authenticity, "integrity" (both definitions) will be in my top three.

No comments:
Post a Comment