Some of you may not know that I am positively fanatic about all things Irish, and St. Patrick's Day is my favorite holiday (I dare say it's my favorite day of the year, when celebrated right!). St. Pat's is a holiday with no expectations and no obligations -- I get to celebrate however I want, with whomever I want. A few people in my life have truly embraced me in my love of St. Pat's and make a point to acknowledge me on this special day every year. What a TREAT when people know what you love and make a point of sharing it with you, even in some small way. This year I received 3 packages in the mail containing little St. Patty's Day treats for me! It wasn't just the luck o' the Irish... I am truly blessed!
Enya or Celtic Woman or bagpipes. I apologize to my coworkers in advance for the ferocious fiddling that emanates from my computer.I really AM Irish....1/4 Irish, at least.....and it's not enough -- I wish I could be more! My maternal grandfather was born just outside of Dublin and emigrated with his parents through Ellis Island. In 2001 we took our first trip to Europe and spent 8 days exploring the beautiful Emerald Isle of Ireland. It was such an amazing and special trip, and it really rooted me in my Irish heritage. It felt like being "home" in the deepest part of me. I know that sounds kooky but if you've ever felt that, then you'll know what I mean.
What's amazing about Ireland: the beauty of her landscape, the simplicity of pastoral life (think 2-lane roads buffeted by old stone walls, herds of sheep dotting the hillside), the kindness of her people, the hearty food, pub life and the "craic" (chatting with your friends over a drink), the lingering Gaelic and Irish brogue, and the sense of history that pervades.
Well anyway, if you don't have any Irish in your blood, I have good news for you: on St. Patrick's Day, everyone's Irish! Erin go bragh! (Ireland forever!)
2 comments:
The sisters and I are 1/6th Irish and it's definitely not enough! One day, I'll go visit Ireland and Scotland...and the other 4 places that make up my heritage. I love that you're so passionate about a holiday that totally doesn't get enough love. ;)
"Slainte!"
Post a Comment