Okay I know I am a total HR nerd and most of you don't really comprehend what this is about, but it truly is a BIG DEAL that I obtained my SPHR designation! The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) partners with the Human Resource Certification Institiute (HRCI) to offer this certification exam to HR professionals. The Professional in Human Resources (PHR) exam is the entry-level exam and the Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) is for individuals with 6-8 years of strategic HR experience. Only about 41,000 people in the country have the SPHR designation, and only around 3,600 of them are in CA. The pass rate for the SPHR exam is 57%. It's significant that I skipped the PHR altogether and went straight for the Senior designation -- most people use the PHR as a stepping stone to the SPHR.Since my designation I've enjoyed SO much recognition....I'm not gonna be shy, it's been GREAT. My boss Nathan surprised me by putting an announcement in The Fresno Bee last Sunday, and he made a special presentation on my behalf in front of the executive officers of the company, presenting me with an SPHR mug, pen, and portfolio. I also had the FUN (and super-nerdy) experience of being a judge at the California State University "HR Games," where college students from Fresno, Bakersfield, Long Beach, Cal Poly, and San Jose competed in a Jeopardy-style competition using the PHR body of knowledge. (My role was to be "Charlie" -- the "guy" that Alex Trebek goes to when a contestant's answer is not exactly what's on the answer card....I got to decide if the answer in question would pass or fail.)
Because of my involvement with the HR Games, I also got to make connections with several of the local HR students at Fresno State, and I will be a guest speaker at their weekly SHRM student chapter meeting on Thursday. It's only been about a month and already I feel like the designation has taken me further than I would have gone on my own!
No comments:
Post a Comment